After cancer surgery and other treatments, physiotherapy and massage therapy can help you get back to doing things you love more quickly. In fact, studies have shown how physio helps lessen pain, swelling and fibrosis after cancer surgery sooner than in people who do not receive this therapy. At Haley Rehab, we are experts in cancer rehab and have helped many people recover.
Treatment side effects
Your body goes through a lot when you have surgery and other cancer treatments. Issues that you may face include:
- Tightness of muscles and/or connective tissue.
- Less range of motion and joint mobility in the area of surgery.
- Scarring and scar adhesions.
- Changes in posture.
- General deconditioning.
Physio for post-op recovery
A full assessment by a physiotherapist is recommended 10-14 days after your surgery. This is to make sure that
the incision (scar) has healed well.
At Haley Rehab, your therapist will assess:
- Your incision (scar) for healing.
- Mobility and range of motion in the area of surgery.
- Any physical side effects of treatment.
- Your risk factors for lymphedema and provide education on how to reduce your risk.
- Arm or leg circumference measurements, if you have had lymph nodes removed from your armpit or groin. These measurements are used to monitor for lymphedema.
Following your assessment, we will work with you to develop a tailor-made treatment plan. Our talented team can help you recover from:
- Movement loss due to capsulitis or radiation fibrosis.
- Changes in posture and resulting muscular pain.
- Axillary web cording.
- Post-surgical scarring.
- Limits in joint mobility and range of motion.
- Breast reconstruction surgery.
- Muscle wasting and general deconditioning.
All of our therapists are lymphedema-certified and we have many years’ experience working with clients who develop secondary lymphedema.
At Haley Rehab, the focus of our post-op cancer rehab is exercise and conditioning programs that help you build strength and flexibility. Your rehab may involve hands-on physiotherapy and massage therapy. It will also include lymphedema assessment and education, if needed, to help reduce your risk.
Our goal is for you to get back to doing the things you love, with the best quality of life possible. To learn more about Haley Rehab, or to schedule an initial assessment, call us at 613-422-5061. No referral is required. Contact us today to see how Haley Rehab can help you achieve wellness.