Who can benefit?We have many years of experience helping women fully rehabilitate after breast reconstruction surgery. Our clients include women who’ve had a breast cancer diagnosis, women with a BRCA gene mutation who are trying to significantly reduce their risk of breast and ovarian cancer, as well as women who have had surgery to increase or reduce the size of their breasts.
Our expertiseHaley Rehab’s expert team of therapists is here to help you before and after your surgery. We will work closely with your plastic surgeon and other members of your health care team to provide you with the best care possible. We have expertise in breast reconstruction rehabilitation for the following:
- Tissue expansion in preparation for permanent implants.
- TRAM breast reconstruction.
- Breast reduction.
- Breast augmentation.
- Dealing with complications (like seroma and Axillary Web Cording) that can occur after breast reconstruction surgery.
How Haley Rehab can helpOur approach is to develop a tailor-made treatment plan just for you. As a first step, we do a thorough assessment before your surgery. This helps us identify any issues that may have an impact on your recovery, including tightness in your muscles or fascia, joint mobility (neck, thoracic spine or shoulder), any existing scar adhesions, your general posture, and overall well-being. Your treatment plan will include physiotherapy techniques as well as self-care tips and advice.
- Physiotherapy and massage techniques can help relieve the feeling of tightness in the skin that is common during the tissue expansion phase.
- Treatment techniques for breast reconstruction rehab include: acupressure; acuscope; acupuncture and dry needling; myofascial release; implant mobilization; kinesio taping; visceral mobilization and others, as needed.
- As a specialist in cancer rehab and lymphedema management, we assess and monitor for lymphedema when clients have had axillary lymph node dissection, sentinel lymph node dissection or radiation therapy to treat breast cancer.
- We teach self-massage techniques and self-mobilization of your implants, gentle stretching exercises, education for posture improvement, how to use kinesio tape, and techniques to help soften your scar.
- We also offer advice about how to modify your duties as you return to work and regular activities, what bra to wear, nutrition, posture, aerobic activity and resisted exercises, and a host of other useful tips.
Your wellnessThe good news is that you do not have to suffer after breast reconstruction surgery. Haley Rehab’s team is highly experienced in manual therapy techniques and all our therapists are lymphedema-certified. As we help you recover, we aim to:
- Reduce all post-op swelling to prevent scar tissue formation, so that the breast feels soft and mobile.
- Maintain the mobility of your breast implants.
- Increase shoulder range of motion.
- Reduce forward head and forward shoulder posture.