What is cancer rehab?Cancer rehab helps people living with a cancer diagnosis achieve the best possible physical and emotional well-being, in preparation for treatment, during treatment and afterwards to help lessen or manage longer-term side effects. Many different health care providers can play a role in cancer rehab, including: physiotherapists, massage therapists, wound care specialists, social workers, psychologists, occupational therapists, nutritionists and others.
Why is it important?Cancer treatment can be hard on the body and cancer rehab helps people manage short-term side effects and lessen the risk of long-term disability and pain. Cancer treatments lead to changes in the body’s connective tissue, causing scarring, adhesions, thickening, and fibrosis – changes that tighten or restrict the connective tissue causing pain and reduced mobility. These changes can appear early in cancer care, but generally occur in the later stages of treatment or when it has ended. This is because the damage that causes tissue fibrosis and thickening often takes time to develop. As part of cancer rehab, physiotherapy and massage therapy can produce dramatic results by helping people: lessen the risk of longer-term side effects, including lymphedema; avoid the formation of scar tissue; reduce pain; and regain movement, mobility and range of motion in their bodies, sometimes after years of impaired movement.
How can Haley Rehab help?Our experienced team provides a range of cancer rehab services, including:
- Assessment and therapy before and after cancer surgery to prevent, identify and treat; pain, range of motion and mobility issues.
- Physiotherapy following breast reconstruction.
- Wound care.
- Preventive physiotherapy and education in self-care to reduce the risk of lymphedema.
- Physiotherapy and education in self-care to help manage secondary lymphedema.
- Skin care consultation.
- Therapies designed for children diagnosed with lymphedema.
- Palliative care and support for people living with advanced stage cancer and other conditions.